Monday, April 9, 2012

National Walk For Epilepsy 2012


We have been so busy lately with lots going on. House full of company, Jill's House, the walk, spring break, a road trip...I think I need a vacation! :)

We are so glad that we got to attend this year's National Walk for Epilepsy. There were over 4,000 people there! It was hard to get very good pictures of the crowd, because we had to keep moving. I have never personally been to such a large event based around advocacy. It was moving and I felt myself tearing up multiple times. An absolute sea of people, all with one cause, to bring more awareness.I am grateful that Cole is doing better with handling being outside and overstimulation. We could have never done this last year. We met most of Team Dravet before and walked over to the mall. You can't really see our team t-shirts, they say:
Team Dravet
Brought together by chance. Staying together for a cause.

Even though we live here, we do not go to the mall very often, so it was wonderful to be able to see it in all of its glory-construction included :)

Here is Team Dravet, 2012. We had a great turn out this year and hope to have even more next year! It was hard to stay together, but nice to see purple hats amongst the crowd and spot "family".
Speaking of family, all of Brian's siblings were together for this. Something that does not happen very often. We were so touched that they came to be a part of the walk with us.
We got to see part of another family of ours- 4 Paws for Ability! We walked with dogs Bo and, Slugger's sister, Samba. I am sure there were others there! It was great to see so many service dogs in one spot. I must say though, Slugger was one of the most well behaved dogs I encountered the entire weekend. I was a proud mama!

Showing our hometown pride!




It was a powerful thing to think about each person's story and why they were there.
A lot of people had signs and banners. This was my favorite of the day, from Team Epilepsyadvocate.com. It made me really emotional.
I know that Cole will never be society's definition of normal, but I have to completely prove myself every day. In another time, I would not have been allowed to live independently, marry or raise a family. I was glad to have a team that was there to walk for me too.
Cole gave up about 3/4 of the way through. Even though we gave him meds before it started, there were a lot of people and lots of excitement. Plus, no port-a-potties, seriously, for thousands of people they should have considered that all of the museums would still be closed! :) We did not make it all the way to the finish line. The entire walk was over 2 miles, but we did participate in the majority of it. We finished by a vintage carousel that has been on the mall since the 40's. It was good way for Cole to break away from the crowd.
All in all, it was a great day and we are so glad that it did not rain. Thanks to every one who came! Can't wait for next year!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds great! Maybe we will join next year... then again who knows?! I am so glad it didn't rain too but I was even more nervous that it might turn out to be one of those random super hot days! glad it was all ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome! Maybe one of these years we'll be able to fly out, participate, and visit our awesome aunt Nik! ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS