Monday, July 16, 2012

Changes

WARNING: SEIZURE VIDEO FOOTAGE




Although this is a short video and this particular seizure was over relatively quick compared to others, this is what I have been watching lately. Cole has been seizing day in and day out for the last 10 days, needing rescue meds every day. He has been having different types of seizures at different times of day, totally confusing the heck out of anyone and everyone. Me included.

This new type seems to be here to stay. I admit, there are some pros to it. However, they are fast, and have no leaders. He stays conscious during the majority of them, and only his facial muscles spasm, though usually more of his face is involved than what is shown in this video. I do appreciate that they seem (for the first time ever) to resolve on their own. He also is making noise for the first time ever! Have to find positives somewhere. They are less than 5 minutes, but can make his speech take a hard hit and he can end up having lots of myoclonics for hours afterwards. OR, he can act like nothing ever happened. Seriously, he had one on Thursday morning and we put him on the bus 20 minutes later. Totally fine for the rest of the day.

Or, he could have one like last night, no facial muscles involved, 30 minutes. Or the myoclonic clusters that literally knock him off of his feet. Man, this Syndrome disgusts me. How am I supposed to help my child when I can not understand what in the heck is going on from day to day...or minute to minute for that matter.

Constantly evolving, constantly changing. I should be seeing some beautiful metaphor in here, but I can't come up with one. You all can give it a shot :) For now, I think that I am going to keep scratching my head and trying to do my best.

3 comments:

  1. I am heartbroken for you and Cole. I have been reading up on Bugs CFD and it turns out they are using the follinic acid and IVIg with good success in patients with LGS, and Rett....makes me wonder about Dravet. I can send you the test...its a simple blood test. I ache for you. All my best sweet Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heartbreaking to see :(
    When Andy and I met with the other Utah Dravet moms a couple of weeks ago, the main thing we came away with was that it could be much worse...moms talking about using rescue meds daily...like you. I am so sorry and hope that things level out soon.
    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry it this happening to your Cole!! It breaks my heart, I love reading your blog, thanks for sharing your amazing story!
    Karrie Barlow Schow
    Rupert Idaho

    ReplyDelete

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS