Saturday, August 6, 2011

Presents

While trying to convince Cole to create a sample for the nice people in the lab yesterday, I took him around town so we didn't have to go home, and then come right back with the yellow stuff. I don't blame him, who wants to have a bag attached to their body? Still, if you have been reading Warriors for any length of time, you know that he is practically famous for not cooperating when we need him to perform whether it be blood, or any other type of bodily fluid. Yesterday, only two pokes and one blown vein for 7 tubes of blood. Hallelujah! Compared to the multiple sticks and multiple trips last time, this was a cake walk. Now if I could only get him to go on command! TMI.

I took him to a little diner, since I had to wake him up early and these were fasting blood draws. No food, no meds and little sleep makes for an interesting morning, but I didn't want to have to go home and turn right back around. We had a lovely time, just the two of us. He had pancakes with some orange marmalade and I had caramel french toast. Compared to other restaurant nightmares, he was pleasant. Yes, we still had to administer meds while waiting for our food, he still stood on the banquet, was banging on the window, yelled greetings at the other customers (including the ones who were on the other side of the window) and dropped multiple items of silverware. However, he did not lay on the floor or scream bloody murder once. Like I said, it was lovely. What a gift to be able to take him to a restaurant and watch him eat a meal. No major seizure, no special diet, just hanging out with my special boy.

After our little breakfast, he had still not cooperated with his sample for the UA, so I took him to a thrift store. There, with a little digging, I found three precious gems. I have read the entire Mitford series probably 3 times. I always borrowed from my mom, grandma or aunt. However, they live too far away to peruse their library shelves. For $1 each, I found the first three books. Tonight, I am going to curl up with Father Tim and visit a little town that has characters who have become like family over the years. They each have their struggles. Their likes and dislikes. Some of them are downright crazy. Overall, the feeling you get from them is love. It is so nice to just escape to a nice little, charming Carolina town and pull yourself out of the real world; even if it is just for an hour or two.

I finally gave up trying to get Cole to cooperate. We headed home so we could let in the nurse who was arriving for her shift. Wouldn't you know, the minute we got through the door, he went. I should have just come home in the first place! At least I didn't have to pack him back into the car and tote him with me to the lab. It was wonderful to just leave him home with the nurse and not have to worry about putting any additional strain on him. It had already been a long day and it was only noon! He got the privilege of taking a nap, I got the privilege of taking a sample to a lab, alone. Sometimes we all have to give presents to ourselves, even if it is $1 books and 45 minutes of alone time in the car:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS