Monday, February 4, 2013

Mixologist

It is no secret for those who know me that I love beverages.  I have an entire board on Pintrest dedicated to them.  It's probably a really good thing that I don't drink alcohol, because I would probably spend a good chunk of money on fruity drinks :)  Cocktails turn into mocktails around here, but there is still something satisfying about mixing flavors to come up with a new wonderful combination.  For example, last night I made a strawberry, pineapple, coconut, vanilla, Sprite concoction that was awesome!  I think I would make a pretty good bar tender.  I could probably get really into Mixology.

When you are mixing and matching medications, it has been termed "cocktails" just like those fruity drinks with a toothpick.

It seems like through our constant tweaking lately we have found the perfect combination to buy us a short break.  It is not a quick fix, but you don't stay drunk for days from one glass of wine.  In theory, anti-epileptic drugs work on the brain like alcohol.  It makes it sleepy, slows it down so that it can't fire off and have as many seizures.  When Cole's brain is over-active, we have found (for now) that giving him a specific cocktail will buy us at least 8 hours without a tonic clonic.  Now this is not something that we can do every day, but it has sure proven useful in the last two months.

Double dose of Keppra-an AED that he has been on for a long time.
5 mg of Diazepam (Valium)-a benzodiazepene
and 7.5 mL of IB Proufen-an anti-inflammatory

It doesn't matter if he has a fever or not.  We have tried these things separately also as a form of rescue medication.  Right now, it only works when you do all three together.  Strange, I know.  Weirder things have happened.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about drinks. I love smoothies and pretty much any drink served with a little umbrella. I know what you mean about medicine cocktails, but they call mine "the recipe." I think I am going to change it to medicine cocktail.

    ReplyDelete

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS