Saturday, April 3, 2010

Restricted

We went on a short trip to Colorado this week. Brian had to be out of town again for work and I just couldn't go another week without sleep. We have some friends that we stayed with and got to see some family members that live in the area. It was just a reminder of how much Cole has changed in these last few months. In September we took him on a road trip to California where we spent the majority of our time hopping from one beach to the next. My little guy LOVES the ocean, just like his parents. He was having a lot of drop and absence seizure back in the fall, but things have definitely gotten worse. I remember how nervous I was to make that trip. This time there was even more anxiety, but it was manageable. There was no swimming, no sun, no long periods in the car. He just can't do it. This trip, we were worried that he would not even make the 50 minute flight without having a major seizure. Instead of just the two regular doses of rescue medication that we always carry with us, we carried it ALL on the plane. I think we went over our one plastic bag per passenger limit. I even looked up the local hospitals before we left to see if they could take care of our needs if we needed to go there.

Our friends were great, but I am sure glad that we have not started the diet yet. There were so many temptations! I am already dreading having to tell my two year-old that the other kids can have ice cream but he can't. We decided to venture out one day to the park because it was almost 80 degrees with cloud cover. Hoping that the temperature change was going to be small enough that Cole could handle it, I agreed to go and have a picnic. Cole had a wonderful time and we were only there for an hour, but later that day it caught up with him. He had a 20 minute partial-complex seizure that was mild, with no convulsions, but long. Needless to say, we stayed inside for the rest of the week with no activities that you would usually participate in on a "vacation". It was Thomas and toys as usual, with me watching his every move. It was actually kind of nice to do my same-old same-old routine in a different environment. I'm sure that we seemed crazy, flying somewhere else to just sit on the couch and play with someone else's toys. It was all we could do though. We're just really restricted at this time in our lives. I am glad that we got to go at all!

So even though we didn't get to go to the zoo, the outlet mall (SAD), Children's museum, or anywhere else for that matter...Cole and I had a swell time. It was great to talk to another adult during the day. You forget how much you miss being able to ask someone a question and not get an answer like "Airplane! Elmo!" I guess we just need to be as social as we can for the next couple of weeks until we start the diet. Anyone up for a play date at our house...with no light or sugar? :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Niki, I can so relate to this. We do the same thing on vacation: we always just go to Utah so that Grandma can watch the baby while we sleep! I think that the diet will help Cole a lot, I really do. I will pray for it.

    ReplyDelete

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS