Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Timeline

My parents tried a modified version of the ketogenic diet in the 80's without it being very successful. When I was a freshman in college, my neurologist suggested that I try it again and told me to go and get Dr Atkin's book. I followed everything to the letter. Even as a 18 year old, away from home. I wanted it to work SO bad. I ended up gaining over 30 pounds in 6 weeks and my seizures got worse. I have the stretch marks to prove it! I only weighed 98 lbs when I graduated from high school so my body really rejected putting on that much weight, that fast. My parents and I decided to abandon the diet after a few months. I am sure that my experience would have been better if I had a real medical team, had started the diet in the hospital and wasn't just shooting from the hip, reading from a book.

Therefore, I was leery of the diet as treatment for my son.

After more information (knowledge is power) and a lot of thought, we have decided it's the next step. BUT...we have to wait. The dietitian that knows the most about it is currently on maternity leave. We have to wait for her to come back to work. At this time, we are looking at being admitted on the week of April 26th. How is it that the last few years I have been spending my birthday in places like hospitals and airports? Both Brian and I just need to celebrate at the six month mark!

We are not positive that this is the true date, but it's all we have for now. Hopefully, something will happen and we can go in and start sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS