Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Ride In The Fun Wagon

We actually can't remember exactly the last time Cole had to be transported to the hospital by ambulance. I know it's been at least a year...June 2010, I think. I'll have to go through my records.

Last night, we got to initiate Slugger fully into our family.

Cole was in the bath when this seizure started, I always hate those. Well, I hate any seizure, but those that start in water are super scary. We have no idea if Slugger alerted or not. We were all kind of scattered hither and thither throughout the house. I know that I didn't hear him bark. However, he did awesome during the actual seizure. He licked Cole's mouth and ear repeatedly-signs of seizure alert. Also, he came and laid right by him.

Now 30 minutes is not a super long seizure for us. However, we still called 911 because Cole has been sick (he's been on anti-biotics since Sat). He was starting to choke and I was worried he was going to aspirate. After 3 doses of rescue meds and following our protocol, he was showing no sign of slowing down. It was a tonic-clonic, but one arm more than the other was involved. He has not had that kind of movement in almost a year. Constant jerking of just one arm used to happen all of the time, but we have not seen it prolonged like this for a while. Thus, we got to call our "buddies". Thankfully, one of the men (I think there were 7!) was the lead on our last call. He tried to fill the others in that we know what we are doing. The paramedics were a little anxious though and brought in the intubation kit. Normally, if a child has been seizing for almost 30 minutes, you intubate. I am SO glad that they didn't!

Brian went in the ambulance with Cole (his first time) and I got things ready and brought Slugger. Slugger was certain that we were going tracking. Remember that seizures are games to him. Then, he saw Brian leave with Cole. I put on his harness and was rushing around...he thought we were playing another game! It took a lot of strength to pull him into the ER. He was following every little trail out in the parking lot, looking for his boy. He was super disappointed when he just had to lay in a hospital bed.He did great though and all of the nurses loved him.

Cole in his royal Mini-Hulk fashion was up walking and talking within minutes. We got the usual looks of shock and amazement when we listed off how many meds he had in him. Strong warrior! He stopped seizing in the ambulance and the first thing he said when they were unloading him was, "I want Slugger!". Not bad for a 30+ min seizure, 7.5 mg of Diastat, 5 mg of Diazepam tablet and 3 mg of intranasal Versed! He, of course, tore off all of his leads and kept trying to break into the crash carts.We are so glad that they did not make us stay overnight. It helps when you have been around the block a time or two. Most doctors begin to understand that you know your child best when you tell them exactly what you want and flood them with information. I really like this hospital. Both times we have been in the ER, it has been nothing but great service and we have not had to wait around forever just to be seen.A cameo by our friend Clark. Helping Cole with a hospital gown since he didn't have any clothes on.

It was a record-breaking turn around time. From 911 call to discharge at the hospital...under 2 hours! How awesome is that?! We have had our fair share of waiting all night in the ER. I'm just happy that we are home. I really, really like this hospital. Oh wait, I already said that! *wink*

We are going to take a lazy day. I was already keeping Cole out of school, hoping that he would get better in time to go on our "dry run" road trip this weekend. I'm not so sure if we'll be able to go now. We'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I know that guy in the last picture! I am so glad you guys are pros, it would scare the crap out of anyone else. I am glad he is feeling better and happy to see Slugger doin his thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun wagon!? Haha...you are so funny :)
    I'm so glad you got in and out so quickly...I think the quickest turn around we've ever had was 6 hours. Its so neat to hear how Slugger reacts when Cole has a seizure. I'm glad that you have him!

    ReplyDelete

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS