Saturday, March 27, 2010

Utah Keto Kids

We spent a wonderful morning with three other families who have a child on the ketogenic diet. All boys, all under 3 years old, all of them the only-child. It was awesome! There were weird moments where I felt like I was working again. I had to keep reminding myself that I was there as a parent. I guess it's just hard to shut that part of my brain off. :) All of these people are amazing. Every story is different, but has some of the same themes. I am sure that we are going to be great friends. Crisis brings people together, and let's be honest, we are all in crisis right now. I have known some of their stories from blogs, but it was so great to finally meet everyone in person. We are going to keep getting together because we can all use the support and great advice that we can give to each other about this and that relating to the diet and seizures.

There were some other people there as well, what warriors! I teared up when one person told me that she was not allowed to adopt. She was deemed an unfit mother because she had epilepsy. She was educated, her seizures were under control and she loved children. I need to remind myself every day that we have come far. There are still miles to go, but at least there is more knowledge and acceptance than there was 30, 20 and even 10 years ago.

Here is a picture of our new buddies.Notice none of the boys are looking!

I am so glad that we got the opportunity to do this. It would have never been possible without the Internet. What a resource! To anyone that comes across this and wants to participate, even if your child is not on the diet, leave a comment with your information or you can find out more about our group on the Epilepsy Association of Utah's website.

1 comment:

  1. It was so fun to meet you Niki! I can't wait until the next get-together and hope some more families come. Did you notice how in the picture Jesus is opening his arms to the Might family? I got a kick out of that. I didn't realize that was on the mantle or I would have removed it. Good luck starting the diet. I really think you will see miracles with Cole.

    ReplyDelete

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS