Friday, March 26, 2010

Wear Purple

Purple Day is a day that is international to recognize and promote epilepsy awareness. March 26, Purple Day was started in 2008 by a nine year-old girl from Canada with epilepsy. You can read more about her here.

It's a grassroots effort dedicated to promoting epilepsy awareness. Epilepsy affects over 50 million people worldwide. 3 million of those are in the United States. That's more than Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Cerebral Palsy and Parkinson's Disease combined! I remember when I heard that statistic for the first time, I was shocked.

I have my little purple ribbon pin from the Epilepsy Association of Utah on my purple trench coat. It's just a little reminder to me that as much as we can talk about it, the more comfortable people become with the subject. There is lack of information and so many misconceptions about epilepsy. It lacks serious funding due to its poor awareness. So many other disabilities and struggles have incredible fund raisers, foundations and backing from legislators. Hopefully, this will change. We need to spread the word, like Cassidy, she's a warrior. Wear purple!

2 comments:

  1. Niki, it was such an honor to meet you, Brian and Cole today! The road we travel is made easier by meeting lovely people like you. :) I meant to ask earlier, where did you get that snazzy pin for your coat?! I want one for myself and everybody I know. ;) Much love and hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Niki - For some reason your blog only came in my latest Google Update. That said, I will now be adding it to our listing of blogs at www.purpleday.org. Cole is a true inspiration and we wish all of you the best in your journey. I would also love to learn more about Cole's new compression garment. Feel free to shoot me an email at michelle@purpleday.org.

    Best Regards,

    Michelle

    Partnership Executive
    Purple Day
    www.purpleday.org

    ReplyDelete

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS