Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Back To School (or Normal Part II)

So, I wrote the majority of the last post weeks ago. Had no idea how things would be once we started "the test".

Funny thing, here I am, sitting in a small, empty room at the school. I thought that only Cole was the one going back to school? The lovely laws that state teachers and aides can not give rescue meds are good...for them. Okay, I get protecting the employees; who's protecting the kids? They informed me that if Cole has a seizure, all they can do is call 911. That means 10 min with no rescue meds. Cole will go into status (seizure that you can't stop) for sure if he seizes for 10 min without intervention. His major seizures are still over 10 minutes when we give the meds immediately! We have learned through a lot of practice, that the longer we wait for intervention, the longer the seizure. SO, after hearing how sensitive to stimulation he is, they suggested I stay on campus while he is here. So here I sit, in another room, for 3 hours a day. If Cole is going to get meds on time, it has to be from me. Didn't expect this one! We've only been doing this for three days and already I am going crazy ;)

Here's the kicker. Cole is behaving. He is polite. He is proving just how "normal" he can be. He is adorable. Heard that one before! ;) Basically, he is making me look like an overprotective idiot. This child has had more stimulation in the last week than he has in months. Still, no major seizure. What is going on? I mean, I'm happy...but confused.

To paraphrase one of my good friends:
I hate how in our lives (with kids who have special needs) we are always waiting for the other shoe to drop. We can never get comfortable. We can celebrate the small stuff, but are always looking around the corner, waiting for the beast to rear its ugly head again...because we know from experience that it will.

I guess that I really am the one that is getting schooled this week. Always expect the unexpected. I thought that I had learned that lesson.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. Cole landed you in detention!

    Can't wait to meet this little man. He and Haiden are going to make quite a pair I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its fun to see how much he loves people! Glad the surgery went well.

    ReplyDelete

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS