Monday, February 7, 2011

Rough

Who knew people that go to church for three hours, follow a whole bunch of health guidelines, try to be service oriented and have "the more the merrier" attitude when it comes to family size, could be so violent? We did. When it comes to church basketball, that is! ;)

I am competitive. It's in my genes. I may or may not have had a Wii inflicted injury over Christmas break. Brian is competitive too. So much so that he decided to body check a guy that fouled him and did not get called for it while playing church ball. He got a bloody lip...and cracked ribs. X-ray confirmed it, NEVER underestimate the skinny guy! I remember my dad coming home bleeding multiple times over the years when he would play basketball. I think he even got stitches once? Or maybe he gave someone a wound big enough that they needed stitches? I'll have to clarify that one.

So while Brian has been turning a simple basketball game into a full body contact sport, or possibly living out his WWF dreams, and wrapping things up at work; we have been busy around here. I have been shipping Cole out most days so I can concentrate on the "Sort and Separate". He has been having a rough time adjusting to all of the chaos around him. He keeps wondering where the dogs are, where the car is, why are these boxes here? He is acting out by doing things like running into walls and falling on the floor, to get that deep tissue pressure that will reset his nervous system. Lots of screaming in the evening...it has been rough.

During all of the packing and the selling and the cleaning out of the freezer....I made three different kinds of steak on Saturday-WHOA (it was good); we have had multiple messages of sad news. Life is rough. Whether you have a child with a disability or not. We all struggle. I have yet to find anyone whose life is perfect 100% of the time. There were just a couple of reminders this week. Two children with Dravet passed away and another one might be taken off of life support today. One child, who was 8, died because he contracted the flu. For a disorder that only affects 1,000 people, losing three in one week is devastating. One of my dear friends lost her second child, in almost exactly two years, yesterday to another rare genetic disease. Life is short, whether you have a mutation or not. Enjoy living.

Today when Cole woke up, I convinced him that it was not morning yet. I took him into my bed and just cuddled with him for an hour. We watched a little Mickey, and talked (as much as we can communicate). Then we got up and had a little dance party before I sent him off so I could get some more accomplished. Take tender moments like this, even in the midst of what could be the craziest time of your life AKA moving across the country. You never know when someone you love may be gone, whether they are 3 months or 80 years old. Take the time to tell someone that you love them. They just might be having a rough day.

P.S. I love you guys!

2 comments:

  1. Love you right back. I'm going to miss you.
    Keep me posted on Lily's arrangments.
    I'm off to cuddle my little pirate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this beautiful reminder of how precious every moment is. Recently I've started pausing to cuddle little John when I take him out of his carseat, before I put him in the stroller. He gets a hug and then maybe we'll take a moment to explore a nearby leaf or tree or flower.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS