Sunday, April 3, 2011

CNMC-A Review

We understand now that we could never get to Childrens National Medical Center if it was a true emergency. It takes way too long to get into true "downtown" DC. We would have to go by helicopter. At least we know now. We chose to go there this time because they are a world class hospital and have a top 10 neuro unit. Cole had been sick for days, but was not seizing.

Gotta say-I was not impressed.

We spent 6 hours in the ER. It was not even really that busy. Most rooms on our hall were empty when we got there. Cole's blood sugar was 55 (that is LOW) and he was still walking around, looking like a normal kid to the untrained eye. So it was easy to ignore us, I guess. It was not until his lab results came back (5 hours after they took the blood) that the doctors said, "yeah, he is sick". Most of his levels were really low. Sometimes it can be hard to convince people because Cole is so tough and resilient. He wanted to wander the halls, pushing his IV pole like a pro, even though his lab values would have the majority of the population laying down and moaning.

When we finally got to the room, we were on the neuro floor. We though, "Great! They will know about Dravet and the diet!"-um, not really. I repeatedly had to educate people about the ketogenic diet. This is a neuro floor at a state-of-the-art hospital? I finally just ended up giving Cole his Keppra from my supply in my purse at 11:00 pm because they still had not gotten the meds from the pharmacy. We had been at the hospital since 2:30.

They did not have the extension for Cole's g-tube so we had to have a friend basically drive for 2 hours to bring us an extra. The "replacement extension" the nurse brought, was actually another g-tube. Really? I feel bad that we made someone have to drive, but obviously the staff was clueless. Traffic is crazy downtown right now because of the Cherry Blossom Festival. The dietitian actually came in and asked us how to measure the water for his KetoCal....uh, on a scale? We had to give them the recipe 4 times. I know that they took the paper 3 separate times to make a copy; where did it go? Finally, it was 1:00 in the afternoon and Brian just said that he would go and make the formula. They were all for it, since it seems like they had never prepared it before. They did not have a scale on the ENTIRE floor (this blows my mind), so he had to go downstairs, to the actual formulary and mix the KetoCal himself. He just measured some other stuff while we were there and we fed it to Cole proving that we knew he was ready for discharge.

The nurses were never at the desk and did not answer the call button. I heard they were short staffed, but don't say, "I'll be right back" and then don't come back for 2 hours. Everything was "closed" from the parking office and the outpatient pharmacy to the toy room. Really? Do they think that everyone just goes home on the weekend? The resident was actually the most helpful. She was writing orders, making phone calls, trying to get information for the case manager and actually was even one that was going to attempt to make the formula. Having worked in a hospital for years, I know that this is not something that residents do. Poor girl, I'm sure she was out of her element. The discharge took from 11-4 to get done. I know that discharges are not quick, but really? Do you need 5 hours for some paperwork?

The whole time we were there, I was also sick...but alas, that is another post entirely.

Dear CNMC-
Prove to me next time that you are world class. I understand that your neuro floor was short staffed. However, 6 nurses to 20 patients is not that short staffed. I also know that we were unfortunately there on a weekend. However, a life-threatening illness does not take breaks. I felt we received poor treatment and I've been to enough hospitals to be able to compare. Truly, it made me miss PCMC. I don't care that you had a flat screen TV in the room, which was quite large and recently renovated. You looked great on the outside, but the service was horrible and you didn't even have wireless Internet! Come on-in the words of my friend, "Do they think we live in a third world country?" ;) Unfortunately, we will be back. So please try to restore my faith in your facility. Right now, it is a little shaken.

1 comment:

  1. HOLY CRAP!! That is really horrible even in comparison to our previous small town's lil hospital. Geesh. I hope there is no next time, but since there will be they better step it up!

    ReplyDelete

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS