Monday, May 23, 2011

Love Letter To Depakote

Dear Depakote Sprinkles,
I just want you to know how you have made the last few days have the ultimate silver lining. See Depakote, I've been in a funk. You know that I always try to keep it real, right? Sometimes I have been downright blue lately, occasionally just bursting into tears without even knowing why. However, my little boy has been able to experience some things this week that all little boys should, because of you. This is what has been keeping me going.

He has been outside more in the last week than he has in the last year. We did yard work as a family this weekend. He even pushed around his toy lawnmower...you know, the one he discovered in the hospital so long ago? That has never happened to us. We were out there for four hours, Depakote! He is talking more than ever and saying hilarious stuff like, "Good morning, Captain Mommy!" All because of you. Well, you and a whole bunch of other stuff like elevation, diet and a variety of cocktailed medications. Still Depakote, you are something special right now.

Even when he had his first big seizure in 4 weeks yesterday, you were working your magic. His oxygen stayed up, he did not go unconscious. He only needed one dose of rescue medication, and it was only about 10 minutes long (instead of the usual 20). This, was a very great thing.

I know that it won't always be this way between us. Alas, my pronouncement of love may be very premature. The whole going anorexic thing could really put a damper on this. Oh, and the possibility of you damaging his liver, like you often do to others. Or the low platelets. Plus, you are kind of difficult to administer. Yes, Depakote, we may not be close for long, but I want you to know that you are giving a special boy a better life right now. Hopefully, you can stick around for a while.

Love,
Cole's Mommy

3 comments:

  1. We too love depakote sprinkles, until he breathes as we're putting the spoon into his mouth! Then we don't love the sprinkles so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that you have been so blue. That is great that depakote sprinkles are working. I hope it keeps working so well. I need to meet this lil Cole man. I love the goofy stuff he says! hilarious! I am still laughing about the cow mooing comment from a while ago!

    ReplyDelete

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS