Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Haunting

We almost boycotted Halloween. Cole can't go outside. He can't have candy. He doesn't understand the concept of Halloween yet. So we were just going to skip it.

I think we had images of Thanksgiving in our mind, from last year. Cole started seizing in the car on our way to the family party. We stopped in the driveway, Brian jumped out of the car and rushed an explanation about why we were backing out, and we headed home. Cole stopped seizing on our way back. This is when he could actually be outside and was not yet sensitive to light. Eventually, I took care of the post-ictal boy and sent Brian back to have a little quality time with his family and he brought me home some food. YEAH, we didn't want to have another holiday like that ever again. However, this is our life and the stress and excitement that comes with holidays inevitably brings on seizures. BUT - remember that goal to be more normal? We chose to make the best of things this year. We let Cole answer the door 5 times, and that probably was a little much, but he was having so much fun!
Our lucky neighbor got two pieces and an "I love you!" So sweet. After, we just put this sign on the door. The doorbell alone creates so much excitement in Cole.We took something we already had, the SPIO suit and just built on it. I ordered a snorkel mask and fins that he can eventually use in grandpa's pool and we had a bona-fide scuba diver! We asked some good friends if we could bring Cole over to their house and they could give him some small toys that I had purchased. They went above and beyond and purchased some of their own ;)Here is Cole saying, "Happy Halloween!", just like we had been practicing all day.So yes, our fall was not that fabulous. It did not include hay rides, pumpkin patches, corn mazes, costume contests, pumpkin carving, apple picking, cider drinking, cookie making, parties, or adorable pictures in the leaves. But last night, thanks to some special people, Cole experienced Halloween...in his own special way.
P.S. Sorry grandmas and grandpas that we couldn't post Cole actually saying "Trick Or Treat" when he got to the door. Mommy was trying to operate too many cameras at once and it is stuck in our video camera!

10 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME!!! If it makes you feel any better, this is the first year we are giving out candy (first year Melorah could have it!). I usually give out small containers of play-doh. Oh, how my husband teases me about that one! LOL I think you all are doing a FANTASTIC job!!! Looks like a great Halloween and fun memories!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I recognize that Halloween bucket! :) Way to go Cole! It sounds like he had a wonderful Halloween! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting all the fun!! Gma just needed a little Cole fix:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Niki, sounds familiar. The first year Jessie couldn't have candy I bought toys for the neighbors to give her. We went out and they tried but she was having none of it, she wanted the candy everyone else was getting. So now she goes out and collects candy (but the bell ringing is her favorite part) and is perfectly happy transferring it from one bucket to another. And we are perfectly happy eating it for her. By the way the videos were adorable. Cole is a cutie pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the photo of you two in the doorway, so cute and you are beautiful. I'm so glad you had a wonderful Halloween with adaptions for sweet Cole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Niki, I am so impressed with the scuba costume! What a great use for the Spio! It looks to me like Cole had a very special Halloween. Thanks for your good wishes for little John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Halloween...Watching and hearing the excitement in Cole's voice when he opened the door to hand out trick or treats just made me "gigle". I love the way you are letting him have experiences that are normal-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet boy, he is too cute for words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the videos. He is the perfect host. I love how he would say "see you later guys" "have a good night" He is a smart kid. Think of it this way, Cole won't get cavities from all of the candy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the videos! So glad he got to enjoy Halloween :) He is the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS