Saturday, September 3, 2011

Dog Shopping

I have been trying to get Cole to understand that he is getting a new doggy. He doesn't have the ability to understand the concept of a service dog, or what this one will do, or that it will go every where with him.

I've just been trying to get him to realize that he is getting a new buddy, and get him excited about it. This has been going on for a long time.

I have had him look at pictures of dogs. I have tried to talk to him about our former family members "The Girls", even showing him pictures and videos of them. He can not remember them. Only recognizes himself in the pictures. Leilani and Lily are a thing of the past for him without constant re-enforcement.

When I ask if he wants a dog, he exclaims, "Yes!" Then continues by saying, "Let's get in the car. Go buy one at the store!" You get everything at the store, silly.

Funny story, as I mentioned, according to him you can get anything by going to the store with monies, even a boat. He told his dad the other day that he wanted a boat. Brian said, "Oh, I wish! I would really like to get a boat too, buddy". Cole answered, "Let's go to store and get one!", totally matter-of-fact. If it were only that easy :)

To say the least, the excitement about the timeline for going to Ohio getting smaller and smaller has been reserved for Brian and I. We are counting down the days. We have even got coordinating Halloween costumes for Cole and his buddy!

Yesterday, I tried again to show Cole the Dogs In Training page to see if it would spark interest. It is like sitting down to a Mail Order Bride website, trying to scan only pictures and a brief profile, to choose a partner for life. Even though technically it is not our choice, it is still kind of fun, and weird all at the same time! Scrolling through the pictures and imagining which dog is going to change your world. I tried this before and he just looks and says, "Doggie!" and runs away to do something else. This time, he looked at every dog. I asked, "Which dog do you like?" He went down the entire page and pointed to every single one, making a comment. He repeated over and over, "I like that one!" or "I want that one". If I scrolled too fast, he would stop me and make me go back. He asked again this morning, "See dogs?" His concentration has improved since being off of the Nano VM and Carnitor. The seizures have started to increase again, but I really think that is because of the Depakote and Topamax. He still doesn't "get" that one of these dogs could be his, but at least he is looking!

Now I have been looking at this page for months hoping and dreaming about our new partner. I have my favorites, but I know that 4 Paws will choose the perfect dog for Cole.

So, every dog on that page is good enough for me :)

After the last few days being from you-know-where, this was a pleasant reprieve.

Which one do you like?

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait till we all get our matches! I know it's still a ways away but it doesn't mean I'm any less excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niki-
    We are not that far away from 4Paws... IF you have time (it will be busy!!) we would love to drive up and see you all! I still laugh about Cole and the cameras in DC. I don't think I have ever seen a child so fascinated with cameras before!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh buddy, if only it were that simple.

    ReplyDelete

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS