Friday, September 9, 2011

Fun In Between The Fight

We managed to have some good times in between all of the headaches and some tears this week. The perfect storm was brewing and there are going to be some major changes in a lot of areas. Starting from scratch. More on that when I have the energy.

On Labor Day, my nurse had a sudden "family emergency" a few hours before her shift. Funny thing, she also tried to call me at 9:30 the night before...it sure was spur-of-the-moment. Hmmm. I decided that it was not going to bring me down and we recruited our friends to go on a drive with us. There is a cute apple orchard a little over an hour away and we were not getting anything accomplished sitting at home. I heard they sold awesome homemade donuts and I wanted one. So we got in the car and left!Say, "Tacos!"
We had to make a mandatory stop at our old favorite, Cafe Rio. We are so happy it has opened out here! Cole did awesome with all of the noise and even stood in line pretty good. He only laid on the floor twice :) It's the little things!Even though it was raining, the drive was beautiful and the orchard was quaint. We got some of the most delicious apples and peaches!I was forced to buy a dozen of the apple cider donuts. They had just sold the last single donut 20 minutes before. Oh well, I shared!They had a great playground and some cute cut outs to take pictures. We will definitely be going back again, without the rain to see the orchard in its full glory.Cole really liked playing with the large checkers set. Remember the apple pie tree from McDonalds back in the 80s? They had one! Cole had a 10 minute tonic-clonic as we were leaving. I guess that the drive, a restaurant and an orchard were too much. At least we tried! The donuts were worth it :)

Another awesome thing. We had our good friends Zach and Leslie come to see us, all the way from Texas!Zach brought Cole an awesome fire truck puzzle. It's 4 feet long!
We were so excited that they stopped by. We have not seen them since the IDEA League conference last year. Zach is one of the oldest people that we know personally with Dravet Syndrome (he is 21). We love him and he truly is the "happiest kid in the world". We love his mom too :)

So in the midst of chaos, we had some bright spots. Friends are so important. We are grateful that we have such wonderful people that we call friends!

3 comments:

  1. Cute kids (I guess the 21 year old should be called handsome, but I am way older so it's still OK to say cute, right?) What a day. I am glad you still get out there and have fun (especially when I benefit somehow from it :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you all had fun! Yay for the Fall right! Nik, can I just say that you are such an inspiration to so many. So thank you for that! Thinkin' about ya from St. Louis. XOXO Lis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous that you get Leslie and Zach as company! :)
    When I've stopped spreading myself thin (Matt is still in Japan), I need to give you a call and catch up! Love, C

    ReplyDelete

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS