Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Distraction-Training, Day 2

Wow! I feel like each day is just so full of information and that we learn so much. I have also learned over the last 24 hours that we should have brought a third person! Cole is by far the "busiest" kid in the class. Most of the others will at least take breaks. Cole is constantly running around the room, through the middle of a demonstration, or just being himself-kind of crazy. Someone commented when he was sitting in a little chair, "He's sitting down!" I told her to not hold her breath, and that he would be up again soon...he was. It has been hard to pay attention to Cole, his seizure activity, the trainer, the dog, the others practicing, etc. We seem to be missing bits and pieces of info as we are switching off watching Cole, who mainly stays away from the training area. We should have brought another person to watch him while we both listened. Lesson learned. Anyone want a free trip to Ohio for two weeks to hang out with us at training?! We pay in warm, fuzzy feelings :) It is difficult, but we will figure it all out, I'm sure.
Sometimes I feel like I have a unique version of ADHD. My attention is bouncing from one thing to the next, and I miss things in between.
Where is Cole?
Listen to the trainer.
I sure like Slugger, oh-I need to correct that behavior.
Cole is over there.
I need to call the oxygen company.
What was that the trainer said about pressure on the leash?
Where are we going to have lunch? What is Cole going to eat.
I need to talk to the nursing agency.
Cole is jumping on the trampoline?! That is probably not a good idea.
Is that a seizure?
I hope these anti-biotics work, my mouth sure hurts.
So, I hold the leash like this...


and so on and so forth.
Mind you, all of this is in fast forward mode going a million miles a minute and is nothing new. It is probably why I am a great multi-tasker.
While all of my thoughts are fine and dandy and appropriate, it makes it hard to concentrate. Try being in my head when I am trying to go to sleep :)

It makes it easier to think about what is kind of going through Slugger's mind the last few days.
Who are these people?
Why are they in my house?
Why is that lady telling me what to do?
Where is my mom?
Who is this boy?
Hey, my friend is over there!
Why can't I have the ball?
Wow, he sure gives me lots of treats!
Why can't I play with my sister's bone?
What is this new car?
What does she want me to do now?!


We worked on distractions today with our dogs. We would place them in a sit or a down and then proceeded to graduate from walking around, to clapping, snapping, food, stepping over them, etc. with each different turn. If they broke the command, we corrected them and then continued the distractions. Slugger did awesome. I think that he already knows (like any kid) who he can get away with things and who he can't ;) Daddy can't help it that he has a soft heart! It is going to take some practice.We also worked on heel. Slugger did a great job. I can tell that his many months with the foster helped him to become a great, obedient dog.

I'll talk about the rest of the day in another post! This is getting kind of long...like I said, lots of information! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there...What seems overwhelming now will someday become second nature...I promise....I never thought it would..but it does.

    I know the feeling though, Nolan was seizing so bad the whole time that we were in Ohio, I was bouncing back and forth from calling Neurologist, Grandma/Nolan at the hotel and Jeremy...it was nuts. Nolan never made it to class and I still couldn't focus...

    IT does get easier.

    Thinking of you all ----

    ReplyDelete

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS