Thursday, October 27, 2011

Track Attack-Training, Day 3

Today we did our first track with Slugger at a park. He only tracked the trainer, since it was cold and raining outside. After yesterday, and last week at school, I didn't want to push my luck on the first time. Taking Cole out would have possibly landed us into the hospital in the next 48 hours. Not worth it.

We will get plenty of other opportunity to work with Slugger and Cole in the next few days. Tomorrow, we will try again with him.

I actually went on a track with another dog in our class, Slugger's sister. Brian went with Slugger and I watched from the car. It was so fascinating to watch how much Slugger loves it.

Going back to what I said yesterday, the dogs do not realize that their child is in danger or missing. Everything is a game. Obviously, Slugger LOVES this game. He gets super excited and antsy before they let him start, and then he just takes off! He's really good at finding the trainer, because that is the only person he has been tracking since the beginning. Slowly, we will wean him off of the trainer to just Cole by having him hide with her. It made me so grateful that when Cole does slip away, as he is prone to doing, we can find him quick...instead of an hour later when Search and Rescue can show up.

We had an incredible lecture on the logistics of tracking. We learned about things like a scent cone, wind direction affecting scent patterns, temperature of skin cells and a bunch of other things that I never thought would have to occupy space in my memory :)

Here is a video of Slugger's track.
He was SO fast!

We also learned about the commands Jump, Place, Lap and Over. We reviewed heel, and everything else we have learned so far. I have gotten to the point with Slugger that I can drop the leash, walk away and he will stay! Impressive :)Really, he is already fully trained, this training is more for me to learn how to use him and for him to get used to my voice and style. He already knows everything, it's just practice for him.Don't you love his "Spread Eagle"?

Cole is getting more and more comfortable in this environment, so he has no qualms with walking right through the middle of the demonstration or going up to people and asking them to do stuff for him. I can't count how many times he interrupted the trainer or others. Good thing all of these people understand that it is not just because I must be a horrible parent. He really does have a disability that affects his attention span and his understanding of social norms.Like this, in the middle of the room, while the training is trying to teach an important concept, bringing his toys out and calling to everyone to "Look at me! This is my truck!"These two are going to get into so much mischief together. Cole has already decided that he likes to feed Slugger out of a bowl with a spoon, like a baby. Oy!Their bond is getting better. It is hard to have Cole by him in class, because there are WAY too many other cool things going on in Cole's mind. At the hotel though, with nothing else around, he is pretty fascinated with him. Now we just need to get Slugger to want to lay with him, and not me. Silly dog kept trying to get in bed with me last night! We'll have to see what happens tonight :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh I just love reading all about it...and I am amazed at everything!!! Plus, don't tell Clark, but it makes me want a dog, right now (although I think I would be slightly disappointed when I found out it couldn't do anything like track my children.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog, I have never posted but I check it often, thanks for sharing Cole with us.
    Karrie Schow
    from Rupert Idaho

    ReplyDelete

 
Photos by Capture Me Candid

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS